Saturday, July 24, 2010

#16

This week's post is going to be relatively short. I didn't do a lot of testing but I've been using my MBP constantly and for doing non-professional everyday stuff, I find it pretty good especially because it boots, shuts down and starts applications faster than Windows. I've mentioned this before but I'd like to add some details.

When I first started using the MBP with fresh install of OSX and Windows, the OSX side would boot faster (about 40 seconds) while the Windows side was not much slower (about 70 seconds boot time). After a lot of apps and usage, my OSX still boots at the same time, but my Windows boot time is now more than 2 minutes!

The delay in Windows start-up may be related to another issue. When installing VMWare virtual machine, I was told that it may damage the Windows Activation files and vase the need to re-activate. It didn't happen immediately but did happen after a while. Windows detected non-genuine copy (incorrectly) and asked me to re-register using a license key. I was lucky that at school we have academic licenses and I could get a new one for free. But the problem happened for a second time last week and I did the same thing. This by itself is a problem but I also noticed that my Windows start-up is slower since the first time that error happened.

The next set of things I did last week was to install a bunch of apps for OSX. They are quite good and I thought it'd be a good idea to let readers know about them.

TotalFinder is an add-on to Finder. I really dislike Finder as I've said before. It is one of the main drawbacks of using OSX for even casual stuff. TotalFinder gives you tabbed mode and also listing folders at the top! It doesn't make Finder a good tool but it's an improvement. See post #14 for my complaints against Finder.

Miro Video Converter
Handbrake DVD Ripper
Seashore, simple Photoshop-like app
UnArchiver for RAR, ZIP, etc

Xee, a nice image viewer that is much better than Preview, kinda like Windows Image Viewer. If you open a file, you can browse through the next images in that directory. For Preview you have to select them all and then open with Preview.

Sixty Force and Nestopia are Nintendo64 and NES simulators.

For more see: http://bestmacsoftware.org/

I'LL BE BACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment